Let’s be honest, life can be rough but life is also precious and it is meant to be enjoyed. That’s easier said than done nowadays with everything going on like work, school and social life. It’s hard to maintain a good balance and on top of that we have to make time for ourselves? It almost sounds like a drag! We completely get it.
But prioritizing our self-care is important to maintaining a good physical, mental and emotional state of mind. Now, we understand that self-care can mean different things to different people, but the goal is still the same. Self-care is the ability to have and keep a healthy and happy relationship with yourself.
Let’s break down how self-care can help you both physically and mentally
- Preventing Burnout- Imagine this: You have multiple deadlines at work, tons of emails to reply to and it seems like there is little to no time to achieve any of this. Being consumed with work on a day to day basis drains you mentally and can be physically exhausting. It can also affect your productivity. When you’re able to take time for yourself, you’re able to reset, refocus and decompress in order to maintain a healthy workspace.
- Maintain Healthy Relationships- When you choose to create a healthy relationship with yourself first it can be easier to maintain a healthy relationship with others and set healthy and realistic boundaries that feel comfortable for you. Remember, you want to surround yourself with positivity and encourage people to do the same.
- Improves Physical and Mental Health- Learning to engage your body and mind in activities to help ease and reduce stress is what we all strive to achieve. Find something that you are passionate about. Maybe that’s going for a jog in the evening, learning to meditate, or reading a new book. Implement healthy habits slowly into your day to day life and watch them become easier over time.
If you’re wondering how you can start your new self-care journey. Here are a few tips to help you get started!
- Determine what brings you joy and what activities restore your energy and replenish your balance.
- Start small. There’s no need to rush the process. Choose something that you can commit to and isn’t overly complicated in your day to day routine but rather something that you will look forward to.
- Build up your self-care routine by incorporating a little more to it when you feel you are ready.
- Take the time to reflect on how you feel or if you need to adjust your routine. Remember, it’s all about doing things that make you happy and help you recharge.
The bottom line is that we all have hectic schedules. But self-care shouldn’t feel like another added project to that schedule. It does require commitment and self-discipline to invest in yourself and well-being. But trust us, it will totally be worth it in the end. ????
-Mirella Mendoza, Patient Care Coordinator